History

History - Bogalusa, Louisiana

     Among Louisiana cities, there perhaps is none whose short history is more interesting and unique than that of the City of Bogalusa.  The very name “Bogalusa” is copyrighted.  “The Magic City,” “The Green Empire,” — slogans of past years, are as appropriate today as they were when the axe felled the first tree to carve from a virgin pine forest the community destined to be an industrial cities of the South.

     Bogalusa is situated on the eastern border of Washington Parish in the “Florida Parishes” section of Louisiana on the Pearl River (the dividing line between Louisiana and Mississippi), and is the chief manufacturing and trading center of the Pearl River Valley.  Reputed to have been the largest unincorporated community in the nation at that time, Bogalusa was incorporated July 4, 1914, with a commission form of government.

     The name “Bogalusa” is derived from the Indian named creek “Bogue Lusa,” which flows through the city, the definition of which is smoky or dark waters.  Bogalusa owes its birth to the enterprise of the Goodyear interests of Buffalo, New York, who established the lumber industry here in 1906, and erected the Great Southern Lumber Company plant.  This plant became the largest pine sawmill in the world.  Today International Paper ranks as one of the outstanding manufacturers of Kraft Liner Board and Kraft Bag Paper in the nation.

 

FACTS ABOUT BOGALUSA, LOUISIANA

Founded

Founded in 1906 when the lumber industry was established. Incorporated July 4, 1914.

Location

Located in Washington Parish, Louisiana, where the Bogue Lusa Creek flows into the Pearl River. Latitude 30° 47' 00", Longitude 89° 52' 00".

City Area

Totals 9.9 square miles.  City has 121 miles of paved streets.

Elevation

103 feet above sea level.

Climate

Mean annual temperature 66.4°F. Mean annual rainfall 61.73".

Population

13,365 in corporate limits; 43,926 in Washington Parish—2014 update U.S. Census.

Government

 “Mayor-Council” form, mayor and seven council members, elected by voters every four years.  This form of government was inaugurated on December 4, 1978.

Connections

  • Airport - Bogalusa-Carr Memorial Airport, with a 5,000 foot paved, lighted runway, accessible to business jets.
  • Highways -State Highways 10 and 21 intersect in Bogalusa and provide access to Interstates 12, 55, and 59.  The city is within 30 minutes of Interstate connections.  Bogalusa is 69 miles north of New Orleans (one hour drive via Lake Pontchartrain Causeway) and 94 miles east of Baton Rouge.

 

History- Bogalusa Chamber of Commerce

On August 5th, 1920,

one-hundred men with businesses

met at the Pine Tree Inn

and formed the first

 

 

Chamber of Commerce

With

65 Charter Members

and a fund of

$3,500.00

We are an incorporated non-profit agency with its own 501-c6 IRS category and a Federal Tax ID number—our Board of Directors, chosen from our membership, oversees our projects and interests. As the “Front Door” to our community we provide answers to questions about almost anything—and we will try to find those answers we don’t know or we will find someone who does! If someone is calling or emailing from out of town or from out of state for information on this area, whom do you think they call or check online for that information? The Chamber is that important source. We cannot exist without our members’ support, for which we are indeed thankful!

 

Member Spotlight

© 2014 Bogalusa Chamber of Commerce. All rights reserved.

Website designed, developed & hosted by Dream Catchers Web Design, LLC.